UAB's virtual fair for Master's Degrees, Graduate Courses and PhDs
Information sessions will be held online from 17 to 21 of May: clear up any doubts you may have directly with the coordinators of your next master's degree, graduate course or PhD programme. Registration is open!
- UAB-specific Master's Degree
- Code: 1759/14
- 14th edition
- Modality: Onsite
- Credits: 60 ECTS
- Start date: 01/10/2021
- Finish date: 30/09/2022
- Places: 30
- Orientation: Research, Professional
- Price: 4200 €
Special price 3780 €
Group of application:
- Teaching language: Spanish (80%), Catalan (20%)
- Location: Facultat Ciències de l'Educació. Campus UAB, Bellaterra (Barcelona) i Facultat de Dret.UB
New migratory processes and the current international crisis are causing deep political, social and economic transformations in both home and destination territories. It has become essential for professionals with migration and diversity responsibilities to undergo continuous training to keep up with new theoretical and methodological developments. The new challenges must be met through a genuine commitment to integration and social cohesion and the availability of effective tools to carry out our interventions.
The Master's degree has two specialisations, each with its own modules, and a core that deals with the main sociological, politological, ethnographic and legal concepts in contemporary migration management. The optional modules allow the master's degree students to obtain the specialisation in Managing Diversity and Social Cohesion or in Rights and Integration.
The course includes a work placement and, in the Master's degree, a module on research methodology, which offers the necessary methodological grounding to prepare the master's dissertation.
There are four cross-curricular axes:
- Understanding migratory projects, strategies and expectations of immigrants with regard to national origin and gender and generational relations, from a trans-national perspective.
- Study of the legal, economic, political and social context that determines the dynamics by which immigrants are incorporated into the social structure of the society of destination.
-Diagnosisofspecific problems that generate processes of social inequality and formulation of social intervention strategies.
- Design and evaluation of programmes, social actions and public policies from the perspective of social cohesion and respect for diversity.
The third-cycle programmes coordinated by the Centre for Migration Studies of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and the Public Law Institute of the University of Barcelona have the aim of providing these tools. Respond to professionals' need to update and deepen their knowledge of theory and methodology, using an interdisciplinary approach to reflect on social intervention.
The teaching staff includes both researchers and other professionals who work in the fields of law, diversity management and social inclusion.
Career opportunities- Migration researchers
- Immigration specialists working with Town Councils, Provincial Councils and Autonomous Regions.
- Intercultural mediators.
- Consultancy services for public and private institutions and administration.
- Support for politicians, trade unionists, teachers, healthcare workers, communicators and other social agents working on social and cultural integration programmes in the field of migration and planning.
- Members of NGOs and third-sector bodies specialising in immigrant integration.
- Social workers dealing with immigrants.
- Lawyers specialising in immigration.
Work placements at public or private institutions aimed at training up professionals with expertise in social and legal intervention in the field of migration and diversity management. Placements give students the opportunity to get to know the work being done by various bodies on migration issues.
Their specific objectives are as follows.
- To acquire practical knowledge and basic competences for working with immigrant groups in Catalonia.
- To gain a deep understanding of the functioning, structure and activities of organisations working with immigrants.
- To acquire knowledge of theory through practical experience, which involves re-examining the content taught on the course in the light of insights gained on the placement.
To achieve these objectives, students undertake a short placement in an organisation working in the field of migration, write a brief report on this experience and then give an oral presentation of the report.
The host organisation will assign a tutor to each student, who will guide their day-to-day activity and will be responsible for the smooth running of the placement. Students will also be assigned an academic tutor. At the start of the placement the host organisation's tutor will provide a specific work plan for the whole period.
At the end, this tutor will write an assessment report and send this to the academic tutor. The student must also write a report on the placement.
Host organisations may vary considerably in their nature and characteristics, but will always be linked in some way to migration. They include public administration agencies, private institutes and foundations, citizens' associations and other civil society bodies.
Assessment of the placement is based on the following.
- Brief placement report, which includes a description of the characteristics of the organisation, the activities carried out and what the student learned from these, and an overall evaluation ofthe placement (40%).
- Monitoring of the activities carried out, through individual and group tutorials (20%).
- Oral presentation (in a group tutorial) of the placement report (15%).
- Assessment of the student's work on the part of the host organisation (25%).
Students who choose the Work Placement module must write a Placement Report with guidance from the tutor.
Scholarships and financial aid
Chek all the information in the page for UAB financial aids, grants and calls.
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Universitat de Barcelona
Departamento de Sociología
Departamento de Pedagogia Sistematica y Social
Departamento de Antropología Social y Cultural
Centre dEstudis i Recerca en Migracions
Cautar Brakkoun el Harrati