PhD in Sports Science
The PhD programme in Sports Science was created under the auspices of the UAB Institute for Sport Research (IRE-UAB), which brings together initiatives in research, training and knowledge transfer promoted by the UAB within the area of sport. The programme offers the possibility of training researchers in Sports Science from related perspectives or research disciplines (psychology, education, communication, economics, engineering, medicine), and providing them with a disciplinary and multidisciplinary perspective aimed at solving the needs and challenges of sport in today's society.
The programme has a team of senior researchers from distinct areas of knowledge, grouped into 7 lines of research. It also collaborates with institutions and universities at national and international levels in the co-direction of doctoral theses to promote the exchange of knowledge and to respond to current challenges posed by the phenomenon of sport.
The PhD programme is aimed at students and professionals who wish to carry out research in the field of Physical Activity and Sports Science, whether from a unidisciplinary or multidisciplinary perspective, integrating knowledge from the area of sport with other areas of knowledge. It is specifically intended for students from distinct academic fields such as the social and legal sciences, humanities, engineering, health sciences and basic sciences. Physical activity and sport are present at all times in all the studies carried out.
This PhD programme will train students through a comprehensive and intricate approach, and identifies, as its main professional opportunities, the following:
- An academic career in the area of Sports Science.
- Positions of responsibility in international sport institutions, and public and private administrations related to this ambit.
- Research, innovation, and knowledge transfer in the areas of physical activity and Sports Science.
- Teaching activities within the study of Sports Science and related areas.
- Involvement and/or participation in research and studies with national and international research centres.
Objectives and justification
The PhD programme in Sports Science is based on the aspiration to examine the complexity of the world of sport as a global, complex, and multifaceted phenomenon, approaching it from a multidisciplinary perspective that integrates knowledge from the area of sport but also from other related areas of knowledge. This multidisciplinary view of sport as a global phenomenon involves the participation of researchers from distinct fields of knowledge in the ambit of applied sports sciences.
The objectives of this doctoral programme are the following:
- To train researchers from related perspectives or research disciplines (psychology, education, communication, economics, engineering, medicine, etc.)
- To promote, encourage and stimulate the development of innovative lines of research that address current challenges in the area of Sports Science
- To promote, encourage and foster the exchange, mobility and interrelation of teaching staff and students, both within the UAB and with partner universities in different countries
- To provide a solid technical and methodological basis for the development of research work in the area of sports Science
In addition to the material resources that the UAB makes available to doctoral programmes for the development of training and research activities, doctoral students on this programme have access to the following research infrastructures:
- The Sports Psychology Laboratory, equipped with ergometric equipment and polygraphs to reproduce and to record sporting situations or physical activity under controlled conditions.
- The Physical Activity Service, through which data on sporting practice can be generated and accessed, which may be of interest for the development of certain research work.
- Tutoresport-UAB: an academic support and tutoring programme aimed at sportsmen and sportswomen registered at the UAB.
Maria Prat Grau
Composition of the academic tribunal for the PhD programme
- The coordinator of the PhD programme
- A representative from each line of research within the PhD programme
Sport Research Institute UAB
Building N. Floor 1
08913 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Fees: aprox. €540 per year View detail of the PhD's fees
Languages in which the thesis may be written:
English, Catalan and Spanish
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Associated departments or institutes:
Sport Research Institute UAB (IRE)
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Additional information: https://www.uab.cat/ire