Health coverage for European Union citizens

Health Cover for European Union citizens

International students must be covered by medical insurance during their stay at a Catalan university..

Citizens of European Union member states (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland) are entitled to apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can obtain a card free of charge by contacting your local health insurance institution as each individual country is responsible for producing or distributing the card in its own territory.

Take into account that the card does not cover private health care or repatriation costs. Visit the EHIC website to find out more  

To obtain free healthcare in Spain, EHIC holders can go to the nearest Primary Care Centre (CAP) and present their EHIC together with a document proving their identity (identity card or passport). 

Primary Care Centres in Catalonia (CAP)