Legal procedures for students from the European Union

Students from the European Union

Teaching and Research Staff and students from the European Union are authorized to reside and work indefinitely in Spain.

All students belonging to a European Union or European Economic Area member state, as well as the Swiss Confederation, and who intend to reside in Spain for a period of time longer than three months must register at the Central Registry Office for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) in order to be issued a certificate of registration and an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros).

The certificate of registration must be obtained at one of the National Police Station of your province of residence.

The documents you will need to provide are the following:

  1. Two photocopies of the registration form (EX18).Instructions to fill in the EX18 form
  2. A valid passport or national identity card (original and one photocopy)
  3. Document of enrolment or arrival certificate
  4. European Healthcare Card or medical Insurance
  5. Census registration (find how to get it)
  6. Sworn statement of having economic means during your stance in Spain (model)
  7. Tax 790 Code 012: Option "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la unión".