Bachelor's degrees We offer more than 80 bachelor's degrees

Legal procedures for EU students

Students from the European Union

Teaching and Research Staff and students from the European Union are authorized to reside and work indefinitely in Spain.

All students belonging to a European Union or European Economic Area member state, as well as the Swiss Confederation, and who intend to reside in Spain for a period of time longer than three months must register at the Central Registry Office for Foreigners (Registro Central de Extranjeros) in order to be issued a certificate of registration and an identity number for foreigners (NIE - Número de Identificación de Extranjeros).

The certificate of registration must be obtained at one of the National Police Station of your province of residence.

The documents you will need to provide are the following:

  1. Two photocopies of the registration form (EX18).Instructions to fill in the EX18 form
  2. A valid passport or national identity card (original and one photocopy)
  3. Document of enrolment or arrival certificate
  4. European Healthcare Card or medical Insurance
  5. Census registration (find how to get it)
  6. Sworn statement of having economic means during your stance in Spain (model)
  7. Tax 790 Code 012: Option "Certificado de registro de residente comunitario o Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de un ciudadano de la unión".


Health Cover for European Union citizens

International students must be covered by medical insurance during their stay at a Catalan university..

Citizens of European Union member states (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland) are entitled to apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You can obtain a card free of charge by contacting your local health insurance institution as each individual country is responsible for producing or distributing the card in its own territory.

Take into account that the card does not cover private health care or repatriation costs. Visit the EHIC website to find out more  

To obtain free healthcare in Spain, EHIC holders can go to the nearest Primary Care Centre (CAP) and present their EHIC together with a document proving their identity (identity card or passport). 

Primary Care Centres in Catalonia (CAP)